Servings: 6 Servings
Calories: 237 kcal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 large carrots , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4- cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package (12-ounces) frozen tortellini
- 1 bag (5-ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup cream OR milk OR half-and-half (I use 2% milk)
Melt butter in a large saucepan or soup pot.
Add onion, garlic, carrots, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; cook over medium-low heat for 6 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Whisk in flour; whisk until crumbly.
Slowly add broth and continue to vigorously whisk until everything is well combined and there are no clumps.
Bring soup to a boil.
Add frozen tortellini and spinach.
Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and heated through.
Stir in cream or milk; bring back to a steady boil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and thickened.
Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
Taste for salt and pepper, and adjust accordingly.