SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 7 oz tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1/3 cup swerve
- 1/4 cup coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoonginger ,fresh grated
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum (optional)
- 1 cup coconut oilfor frying
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cupspowdered parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- scallions slices, for garnish
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE – USE ONLY 1/4 CUP FOR THE RECIPE
Place the tomato paste, broth, sweetener, vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, salt, garlic powder and ginger in a medium-zied saucepan over medium heat. Stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking. Remove from the heat and let cool. Sift in the guar gum, if using, and whisk until well combined. Pour the sauce into a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat the oil in a 4-inch-deep (or deeper) cast-iron skillet over medium heat at 350 degrees. The oil should be 1 inch deep, add more if needed.
Bread the chicken: Crack the eggs into a shallow baking dish and beat lightly with a fork. In another shallow baking dish, combine the powdered Parmesan and pepper. Dip a chicken nugget into the eggs, then the cheese mixture. Coat well.
When the oil is hot, fry the nuggets in batches for about 5 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
Baste the fried chicken nuggets with the sauce. Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with scallions, if desired
Nutritional Info per serving:
521 calories, 36 g fat, 45g protein, 8g carbs, 4g fiber