Slow cooked beef chuck steak and hearty noodles is a family-pleasing meal.
- 2 lb boneless chuck roast
- 1 tbs steak seasoning (Montreal is good)
- ½ tsp each salt & pepper (optional if you use a steak seasoning with salt)
- 2 tbs oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme -OR- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups beef stock (I use low sodium)
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 12 oz frozen egg noodles (like Reames brand)
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 6 oz button mushrooms
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Mix salt and pepper (if using) with the steak seasoning and rub onto both sides of the meat. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet then brown on both sides. Transfer the meat to a 4-6 qt slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up the browned bits at the bottom. Add this to the slow cooker along with the bay leaf, thyme, onion and garlic. Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or low 6-8 hours (times approximate).
- When roast is tender, remove from the slow cooker and break into large chunks; cover and set aside. Now add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and frozen noodles to the slow cooker and cook on high 1-1½ hours.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes or until seared well and most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the mushrooms, meat and heavy cream to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 15 minutes.