Peperonata (Stewed Bell Peppers) is a rustic Italian dish made with only a few ingredients but with tons of flavor.
prep time: 10 MINS
cook time: 40 MINS
total time: 50MINS
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Kg (2 lbs) red and yellow bell peppers seeded, membrane removed and cut into thin strips
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can peeled tomatoes (400 grams/ 14 ounces)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Halve the peppers and remove the seeds and white membranes. Cut them into thin strips
Clean and thinly slice the onion.`
Put the peeled tomatoes in a food processor and pulse until they are pureed.
In a large pan, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and onion.
Saute’ on low heat for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft then add the peppers and stir well.
Cover and let it simmer on low heat for 15 minutes, without adding any liquids.
Add the tomato puree, season with salt and cook for another 15 minutes.
Serve the peperonata warm or at room temperature.