- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup warm mashed potato
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large shallots, diced; OR one medium onion, thinly sliced
- Sauté the shallots in the butter until they begin to brown.
- To make the dough: Mix together the flour and salt.
- Add the egg to the flour and combine. The dough will be quite clumpy at this stage.
- Work in the sour cream and soft butter until the dough comes together in a slightly rough, slightly sticky ball.
- Using just your fingertips, knead and fold the dough without adding additional flour until the dough becomes less sticky but still quite moist.
- Wrap the dough well in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes(up to 48 hours).
- To make the filling: Combine the warm mashed potato and cheese. Stir and mash until the cheese is melted and the filling is cool to the touch.
- To fill the pierogi: Separate half the dough and roll it out until it is 1/8″ thick. Use a 2″ round cutter to cut circles of dough. Repeat with the other half of the dough. Save the scraps; these can be snipped into small pieces and added to simmering soups.
- Place 2 teaspoons of filling on each round of dough. Gently fold the dough over, forming a pocket around the filling. Pinch the edges of the pierogi to seal, then seal again with the tines of a fork. At this point the pierogi can be frozen for up to 4 weeks, or refrigerated overnight, or cooked in a large stockpot of boiling salted water
- To finish the pierogi: Fill a large pot with water and set to boil.
- Once water is boiling, add in 10 pierogi at a time. Boil until the pierogi float to the surface (about 8 minutes).
- After all of your pierogi are boiled, drain the water and set pierogi aside.
- Peel and dice your remaining shallots.
- Melt your butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the drained pierogi and cook for about 7 minutes on each side until their outsides are golden and crisp.
- Serve hot and top with sour cream, applesauce, chopped chives, or other condiments.