A noodle-less, low carb zucchini lasagna with an incredible turkey meat sauce!
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 large zucchini, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 – 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- handful of basil, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- handful of parsley, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper, if desired
- red pepper flakes, if desired
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the ricotta cheese mixture:
- 15 oz part skim ricotta
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces reduced fat or part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place sliced zucchini on large baking sheet coated with non stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes to help dry out the zucchini a bit. This is a critical step.
- While the zucchini noodles are roasting, you can make the turkey meat sauce. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, and peppers and cook a few minutes until onions become translucent and garlic is fragrant; stir occasionally so that you don’t burn it. Add in ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, parsley, and a few dashes of red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer UNCOVERED 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce REALLY thickens up! (If it needs to be thicker, I suggest adding in another tablespoon or two of tomato paste.) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat to cool.
Full recipe: Go to this link