- 1 pound cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound ziti or other short, tubular pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus extra for garnish (dried works too)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces low-moisture mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk cottage cheese, eggs, and 1 cup of parmesan together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cook pasta until just shy of al-dente, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain pasta, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and leave in colander (do not wash pot).
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat crumble sausage and cook until brown. Add garlic and stir for one minute. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and oregano and simmer until thickened (about 10 minutes). Off heat, stir in basil and the sugar, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine cornstarch with heavy cream in the now-empty pot and set over medium heat. Bring to simmer and cook until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup of the tomato sauce, and ¾ cup of the mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine. Add pasta and stir to coat thoroughly with sauce.
- Transfer pasta mixture to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and spread remaining tomato sauce evenly over the pasta. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over the top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 30 minutes, or until cheese is golden brow. Let cool about 20 minutes before serving. Add basil garnish and serve.