Saucy coconut curry chicken with sweet red peppers, tender potatoes, and crunchy cashews made right in your slow cooker!
- PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
- COOK TIME: 4 HOURS
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HOURS 10 MINUTES
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 small potatoes (I used red), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (or one 14-ounce can + 1/2 cup chicken broth)
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder (see note)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- optional: corn starch slurry (see note)
- cashews, cilantro, cooked rice for serving
Add chicken pieces, red peppers, potatoes, and onions to the slow cooker.
In a medium bowl whisk together chicken broth, curry powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture into slow cooker and stir to coat chicken and veggies. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours.
About 10-15 minutes before serving, stir in coconut milk. Stir just before serving and top with cashews and freshly chopped cilantro.
*If you prefer a little bit thicker curry (like I do) whisk together 3 tablespoons cold water and 2 tablespoons corn starch. Stir into crockpot about 30-45 minutes before serving and cook on high until ready to serve.